The presents are opened. The cookies are eaten. The company is gone. All the build-up and excitement for Christmas has disappeared like yesterday’s snow. While the rest of humanity seems merry and bright, reality comes crashing down on you.
The marriage is still broken.
The child is still a prodigal.
The bill is still unpaid.
The ________ is still ___________.
The distress, darkness, and despair threaten to suffocate you. While others might tell you or you might tell yourself, “It’s the holidays! What do you have to be depressed about?” Depression can still show up as the Grinch and steal our hope and joy.
I get it. I understand the distress, the darkness, and the despair.
Much more importantly, so does God.
Oh, my friend, look with me at the hope-filled passage of Isaiah 9:1-7! There are such treasures found in its depths. Lock arms with me as we step into the light of His glory and grace.
Let's start with Isaiah 9:2:
The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light:
they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death,
upon them hath the light shined.
Did you catch that?
- walked in darkness.
- dwell in the land of the shadow of death.
Darkness. Death. Despair.
BUT because of Christmas,
- they have seen a great light!
- upon them hath the light shined!
Look what this light will do. Christmas day and every day, it will give you:
1. Joy! (Isaiah 9:3)
You have enlarged the nation and increased their joy;
they rejoice before you as people rejoice at the harvest,
as warriors rejoice when dividing the plunder.
Just like the light of God increased their joy, the light of God will increase your joy!
2. Peace! (Isaiah 9:4)
He will break the yoke of slavery
He will lift the heavy burden from their shoulders
He will break the oppressor’s rod !
The light of God set His people free. By providing freedom, He allowed them to experience peace like never before. Just as He did then, the light of God can break the yoke of whatever enslaves you and give you peace like never before!
3. Love! (Isaiah 9:6)
A child will be born to us!
A son will be given to us!
Not just any child, my friend, but the Son of God, Jesus! That is a gift of love that can’t be taken or sold or fade away.
How kind of God, but what does that have to do with:
The marriage that is still broken.
The child who is still a prodigal.
The bill that is still unpaid.
The ________ that is still ___________.
Whether it’s Christmas Day or any day of the year, this Child is the gift that keeps on giving. He is the:
Wonderful Counselor (Isaiah 9:6)
- His counsel boggles the mind because it’s beyond our understanding.
- It is life-giving, freeing, and joyful.
- When we don’t know what to do about our marriage, our parenting, our bills, He does!
Mighty God (Isaiah 9:6)
- His strength and His power are unsurpassed.
- He can do anything because He has the strength to follow through with His purpose.
- He has maximum ability to save a marriage, a child, and unpaid bills. Just ask and see what He can do!
Everlasting Father (Isaiah 9:6)
- His Fatherhood has no end.
- He is not limited by aging or dying.
- He is the Protector and Provider of our marriages, our parenting, our finances, etc. He cares more than we realize.
Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:6)
- A deep abiding peace that cannot be taken away.
- Spiritual harmony between God and us: in any marriage dispute, any parenting issue, and any life problem.
- This is not a promise of an easy life, just His unsurpassed peace to get through life.
Just because the gifts are open, the cookies are eaten, and the company is gone doesn't mean Christmas has to be over! Jesus! Jesus is the gift that keeps giving.
He is the light of the world!
He is joy like a fountain!
He is peace like a river!
He is love like an ocean!
He is the Wonderful Counselor!
He is the Mighty God!
He is the Everlasting Father!
He is the Prince of Peace!
He is the gift that keeps on giving!
“Glory to God in highest heaven,
and peace on earth to those with whom God is pleased.” Luke 2:14
Merry Christmas to us every day!
Jesus Girl. Wife. Momma. Student. Teacher. Lover of milky coffee, dark chocolate, lively laughter, deep talks and a front row seat on the beach at sunrise.