It happens often...I'll receive a text or see someone at the grocery who asks me to pray for a specific situation. With the best intentions in the world, I say, "Well of course I will!"...then life happens. The kids are arguing or my phone rings and that appointment for a friend that I needed to pray for at 10:00 am has already passed! Can anyone else relate?!? Yes, I am a preachers wife, and yes, I still fail miserably sometimes!
INTENTIONAL is my word (or better known as WOTY if you have been following previous posts) for 2018. Although there are numerous ways I want to be more intentional, my prayer life is definitely at the top! I do feel like I have a good prayer life, but I don't want to settle for "good"! I want to be such a powerful intercessor for people that the devil shakes when someone reaches out to me for prayer!
Jesus taught His disciples how to pray through example and He is our example today!
1. Pray Continually - 1Thess. 5:17
Prayers do not have to be long and elaborate. The Lord just wants us to be in constant communication with Him. That means when we are joyful, thankful, sad or hurting. We don't need to let our emotions affect our prayer life.
2. Pray Alone - Luke 5:16
It can be hard to find times to be alone when you feel like you are being pulled in every direction. Whether it's early in the mornings, late at night or in the car, take advantage of the quite and the stillness! Jesus retreated many times and sent His disciples on ahead of Him.
3. Pray with Others - Matthew 18:20
Not everyone is comfortable praying with others, but Jesus encouraged His disciples to pray together. There is beautiful unity in prayer!
4. Pray for Others - John 17:9
Jesus prayed for His disciples when He was headed to the cross. He knew what was ahead for them and it would not be easy. Everyone knows someone that needs to be prayed for. Whether it be for an illness, marriage, job, or their salvation!
5. Pray for Yourself - Luke 18:13
That may sound strange, or even a little prideful, but God wants us to bring our petitions to Him. Although the Lord knows all, He wants us to acknowledge our dependance on Him.
Here are some practical ways our family will be intentional about prayer this year!
1. Notecards - I found a nifty little set of notecards on a ring at a local store for $1. I will write my prayers out on the notecard and answered prayers on the back. This time next year, I will be able to look back and see all that the Lord has done through people in my life!
2. Echo Prayer App - Guess what?? There is an app for that! Someone introduced me to this app last year and it's genius!
* It keeps track of all of your prayers
* Reminds you to pray at specific times
* You can share prayers with others: This is great with a group of friends, small group, etc.
3. Christmas Cards - Yes, you read that correctly! Each year our family keeps all of the Christmas cards sent to us and we store them in a basket in our kitchen. Every night at dinner, the kids pull a family from the basket and we pray over that family. It is a fun way to get everyone involved and it teaches our kids the importance of praying over others.
The girls at By Faith She would be honored to pray for YOU and with YOU!! You can leave a prayer request below or click here to email us! Let's make 2018 a year of intentional prayer! Oh ladies...how we can change our homes, churches, communities and beyond for Christ! That's exciting to me!
Laura is a pastor's wife, mom to two crazy fun kids, part-time marketing director, loves hanging out in her community and building relationships...oh and loves to laugh!